Re: Agile methodologies.

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:42:42 +0100

Am 28.11.2014 um 11:20 schrieb Noons:
> On 27/11/2014 8:19 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
>
>> As for my opinion of agile methodology, it's quite openly negative, at
>> least when it comes to the DBA projects. Fortunately, I see the agile fad
>> subsiding fast. People are again asking for SDLC and waterfall
>> methodology. There is an old geek platitude that walking on the water and
>> programming according to specifications are easy, as long as both water
>> and specifications are frozen. Agile methodology does away with frozen
>> specifications, with the results that I didn't quite like. On the other
>> hand, I have never been managing a group of development projects, so I
>> don't know whether agile methodology is good from that aspect.
>> Nevertheless, a disproportionally large part of my funniest war stories
>> comes from the places which have implemented agile methodology.
>
> I have managed quite a few projects and never seen such crass
> incompetence as what agile and other "internet era" "kewl" project
> notions have caused.
> Yes, I am being facetious on purpose.
>
> The following completely sums up what IT is all about nowadays, as a
> result of all these "new black" nonsense. Back in the days when
> projects had to be accounted for by audited numbers, this kind of person
> would have been ejected at high speed from ANY project. Nowadays? They
> get promoted to "architects"...
>
> http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2014/11/25/west-side-project-story/

Hehe, nice!

I once read a very well written summary of what Agile/Scrum is all about and their shortcomings, by Dave Ziffer. You can find it here:

http://www.projectpro.com/letters/MethodologyMadness.htm

Regards
Peter

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,