Re: Edition compatibility

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 15:51:46 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:35:09 PM UTC-8, Troels Arvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an Oracle database in an Oracle 11 Enterprise Edition. I need to
> copy (using Data Pump) its data to another Oracle server. The destination
> Oracle server needs to be as cheap as possible, so I hope to copy the
> data to an Standard Edition ONE or Standard Edition with Named User Plus
> licensing.
>
> But how do I know whether the source database is using features which are
> not found in Standard Edition ONE?
>
> If there's no way to know that: If I buy a Standard Edition ONE and find
> that I can't import data, can I subsequently convert the Standard Edition
> ONE license to some other Named User Plus edition? (This is basically a
> question for Oracle's sales department, but I reckon someone here might
> have experiences from a customer perspective.)
>
> --
> Troels

Well, first you go through the docs for what is in what edition (or see MOS Differences Between Enterprise, Standard and Personal Editions on Oracle 11.1 (Doc ID 465460.1)) and see what major things you are using.

There's also a feature usage table, although it can be slightly misleading at times.

I think the import will just skip stuff it can't handle. There are bugs related to this, so you can search support for workarounds if you hit them.

Of course, it appears the MOSC community is fubar right now, I'm pretty sure this has been addressed on both sides of the community.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
https://community.oracle.com/thread/3631823?sr=inbox&ru=12462