Re: Oracle on AIX: how much memory to give to Oracle?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 04:17:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 16:07:56 -0700, vsevolod afanassiev wrote:

> AIX 6.1 LPAR with 64 GB memory, no Active Memory Sharing Oracle
> 11.2.0.3, one instance used for batch processing Number of connections
> (Oracle sessions): less than 200 There is nothing else on this LPAR,
> only Oracle (single instance/no RAC)
>
> Question: how would you set MEMORY_TARGET/MEMORY_MAX_TARGET to maximize
> amount of memory given to Oracle and at the same time to avoid running
> out of memory/swap?

Vsevolod, please don't use Google groups. As for AMM, I wouldn't use it, period. I don't think that lumping cache memory like buffer cache and shared pool together in the same pool with the work areas for sorts and hash joins is a good idea, period. I never use it. One of the reasons is, among other things, to never run out of memory. In addition to that, you will alleviate memory problems by setting FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS to SETALL.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer