Re: Create copy of non ASM database to ASM database on different server

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 14:42:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 20:48:33 -0700, mjmstud wrote:

> I am looking for the quickest/easiest way to create a copy of a large
> (230 Gb) database.
> The situation is as follows :
>
> The source database is on a non ASM Oracle instance (on machine A).
>
> I would like to create a copy of this database and place it on machine
> B.
> Machine B has an ASM instance on it and I would like the database to use
> the ASM disk groups that are setup on this machine.
>
> I have seen examples of using "rman duplicate" to create a copy of a
> database but they do not appear to cover the situation where the source
> database is non ASM and the destination database uses ASM.
>
> The database versions for the source and destination are 10.2.0.1.0.
>
> I would appreciate any advice on how to achieve this.
>
> Many Thanks.

I don't see a problem. I have done this many times. Just set the appropriate DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT parameter in the destination instance and fire away. The DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT should look like this:

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT='/u01/oradata/PLSE','+DGDATA'

Another trick would be to set DB_FILE_CREATE_DEST to something like '+DGDATA'. That would activate OMF (Oracle Managed Files) which would give you additional benefits of not having to specify file when creating a tablespace. With OMF, you can do things like this:

CREATE TABLESPACE TEST DATAFILE SIZE 100M AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 100M MAXSIZE 500M;

Oracle will know where to take the space from automatically.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer