Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 14:00:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:01:51 -0700, lepierot wrote:

> Hello,
> My configuration is as follows:
>
> Oslevel AIX 4.3.3
>
> Oracle Database 8.1.7.2
>
> When I log on as the oracle database:
>
> When I login:
> sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
> - I do shutdown immediate
>
> But when I connect:
>
> sqlplus / nolog SQL> conn sys as sysdba Enter password:
> xxxxxxx SQL> shutdown ORA-01031: insufficient privileges SQL>
>
> Why?

The reason for that is in sqlnet.ora authentication. I've seen some DBA's doing that. If not that, then there should be an internal error in the alert log. That will not help you much, since you can not open a SR about the Oracle 8i any longer. You can kill the oracle processes and remove the shared memory using ipcrm, which is equivalent to shutdown abort. If you do a checkpoint and "alter system suspend" before that, you shouldn't have any problems with bringing the database back up.

Furthermore, AIX 4.3 and Oracle 8.1 are what Greeks used to maintain logistics during the Trojan war. It has been obsolete since the end of the Trojan war.

Please, note that the books about Oracle 8i written by Cary Millsap and Jonathan Lewis were relevant for much longer time, at least until the battle of Hastings in 1066 and maybe even until the year 1492. As a matter of fact, Cary's book is still relevant, because it's mostly version independent and the principles laid out in that book are still very relevant. Jonathan's 8i book, of which I still have a signed copy, contains a lot of version dependent information and has been superseded by the "Oracle Core" book.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer