Re: What to do (or not to do) about SPAM (was: Re: 2014 Collection Of Solution Manuals & Test Banks. More Than 15,000 Titles)

From: <robertmilesxyz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 20:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:07:18 PM UTC-6, Peter Schneider wrote:
> Am 28.01.2014 19:40, schrieb ddf:
> > On Monday, January 27, 2014 12:41:41 PM UTC-7, motm..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> >> Business Statistics, 8th Edition 2011, Groebner, Shannon, Fry, Smith, Solutions Manual
> >
> > No, no, no, a thousand times, NO!!! This is not the place to ask for such materials, period, as it's an Oracle database newsgroup, NOT Craig's List or eBay or any other outlet (many of ill repute) offering such 'merchandise'.
> >
> > You're better off actually doing your homework rather than trying to expend that effort looking for a way to cheat.
>
> David,
>
> although I have to state that I really have respect for your (and Joel's and
> Mladen's and everybody else's) determination and insistence in writing
> something up against this annoying flood of spam which the c.d.o. groups have
> been facing recently, I also feel obliged to say that what you are doing is
> kind of counterproductive and does not help at all. It's a fight against
> windmills.

I've found something that often actually works for reducing the spam.

About 99% of the spam in newsgroups for which the preferred language is English is posted through Google Groups, so reporting the spam to Google Groups may be enough.

However, Google Groups requires the spam to be reported by at least two different users before the software portion of their abuse department will send such a report to the human portion of the department, who will then decide whether it fits their idea of spam well enough to hide that message by removing it from all the indices normally used to find messages. They probably keep the spam somewhere, but hidden from nearly all users.

The spammers may ignore all attempts to report the spam (unless you can report it before their bosses see that it was actually posted), but their bosses are likely to notice the reduced sales from having the spam hidden, and either reduce the pay of the spammers, or stop paying them at all.

Would two of you like to start reporting the spam the Google Groups, and therefore making the spam hidden? Received on Thu May 22 2014 - 05:25:59 CEST

Original text of this message