Re: Best way to restore database back to previous point in time

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 23:25:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, March 21, 2014 8:18:00 PM UTC-7, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> A backup from the gold VM image is usable only if the underlying DB is
> shut down or suspended. I once tried rescuing the database backed up by a
> "gold VM snapshot", without success. Snapshot turned out to be crap shot.

Oh yes, I wasn't giving a complete recipe, just the magic words to google. I recently had a regular weekly cold VM backup of an XE fail - turned out it was because the listener log was so big, that was causing the shutdown command to take too long (or something like that). And of course, not come back up, causing screaming alerts.

I was using the suspend command on a prod db, but promised hardware never came, so I turned the test of that off.

> That is something completely different from taking a database snapshot,
> using SAN. That is a proven technology which has been around for a very,
> very long time. I've scripted it with Oracle 8i and "splitting the BCV's",
> as it used to be known, and have been working with it in all the versions
> ever since. The technology itself hasn't changed much, it still uses
> "ALTER DATABASE BEGIN/END BACKUP". Sad truth is that rman doesn't have a
> snapshot API.

I was trying it on 7.3, but the promised hardware never materialized then either. We called it breaking a third mirror, or some such thing.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/volte-rich-communications/photo-gallery-oracles-visions-of-industry/d/d-id/708402?_mc=RSS_LR_EDT