Re: Best way to restore database back to previous point in time

From: GD <goran99_remove_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:55:00 +0100

On 20.3.2014. 12:34, patrick.gunia_at_googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a question concerning the best way to restore a database to a previous point in time.
> My concrete intention is a little bit different from the usual backup-purpose. As Iīm working on performance testing Iīd like to have a fixed backup (or several backups) which all have a fixed state in time. I load such a state, run my benchmarks (which alter the database) and afterwards roll the database back to the state before I started my test. So when I restore my database I explicitely donīt want any recovery (because I donīt want the database to return to the current state). This is how my RMAN-script currently looks like:
> I tried both, restoring the whole database using RESTORE DATABASE and restoring only the user tablespaces which contain my userdata.
> What I get are either files which need media recovery, a state which is the current one (because it recovers) or other errors...does anyone of you can give me some advice, what I need to change, to make this work? Thanks in advance!

In case you don't want or can't use flashback database feature, you need to perform point in time recovery from your backup by using "UNTIL TIME" clause within your run block:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmflash.htm#BRADV84152

Regards Received on Sun Mar 23 2014 - 12:55:00 CET

Original text of this message