Re: Oracle optimisation tips when running locally?

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 22:06:47 +0100

Am 11.02.2014 15:26, schrieb adrian.harrison.uk_at_gmail.com:
> I have Oracle 10.2 & 11g running locally on a Windows 7 (32 bit) machine
> purely for development purposes.
>
> Although I only run 1 instance at a time, they both can take up lots of RAM
> and slow my PC down.
>
> At most, I use a maximum of 3 concurrent connections and the majority of
> development is done against Oracle Databases without any i.e. Oracle Text
> etc...
>
> Has anyone a similar setup that may have a few any optimisation to reduce
> the foot print a bit?
>
> I know this sounds mickey mouse but the live instances on running no Blades
> and having everything locally is so much faster and easier.

Shut down and deactivate the EM console if you don't need it - it's a resource pig :-( It easily takes 1 to 1.5 GB on its own.

Size your SGA such that it uses no more than 40% of your system memory.

If possible use a completely distinct disk for the DB data files etc, such that DB IO does not compete with your development tools IO, browser, IDE (dev application server?), test data access etc.

Make sure that (if eg. it's a clone from production) that you have no DBMS_SCHEDULER or DBMS_JOB background jobs still active by accident.

Regards
Peter

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,