Re: oracle 12c memory option

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:19:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, October 18, 2013 8:58:04 PM UTC-7, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> Well, that was my understanding of the things: dual columnar and classic
>
> storage. Although, I must say that I don't see what role could columnar
>
> storage play in OLTP. I also don't see what Exadata can do for an OLTP
>
> database. Columnar storage usually helps with things like group by, MODEL
>
> clause and constructing cubes.

All true, given the assumption that reporting and/or analyzing are done on a separate db from the OLTP. Often a bad assumption, especially with packaged [E|M]RP's. Ancillary machines are often added as a response to performance problems, and nowadays consolidation can complicate matters.

> > which is what Oracle is claiming as their unique selling point.
>

> Yeah, that remains to be seen. I am not quite convinced. IBM is getting
>
> very aggressive, at least on the high end Unix systems. Oracle has pushed
>
> HP Itanium users into IBM hands with their antics. IBM is not doing such
>
> a swell job on Linux and Windows, though. It's hard to predict this one,
>
> the "big data" stuff usually runs on the high end machines and that's the
>
> domain that IBM rules supreme.

Sales is where da money is.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Tesco - you mean the company that failed miserably pushing into the US market, losing hundreds of millions of dollars then skulking away with its tail between its legs?  Right, Forbes... http://www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2013/10/21/tesco-revolutionizes-retail-and-gears-up-for-battleground-of-the-future/