Re: oracle 12c memory option

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 03:58:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:38:24 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Reading the material at the link, and some follow-on stuff, it didn't
> look as if the IBM offering catered for OLTP data maintenance at the
> same time -

Well, that was my understanding of the things: dual columnar and classic storage. Although, I must say that I don't see what role could columnar storage play in OLTP. I also don't see what Exadata can do for an OLTP database. Columnar storage usually helps with things like group by, MODEL clause and constructing cubes.

> which is what Oracle is claiming as their unique selling point.

Yeah, that remains to be seen. I am not quite convinced. IBM is getting very aggressive, at least on the high end Unix systems. Oracle has pushed HP Itanium users into IBM hands with their antics. IBM is not doing such a swell job on Linux and Windows, though. It's hard to predict this one, the "big data" stuff usually runs on the high end machines and that's the domain that IBM rules supreme.

> The reference to SIMD in the IBM paper reminded that that was a detail
> that I'd overlooked in the note that Joel had highlighted - where
> possible Oracle also tries to take advantage of vector processing at the
> CPU level to accelerate predicate evaluation on multiple rows
> "simultaneously"

That is interesting where the hardware capabilities exist. I am not sure that Intel CPU models can do parallelism within a thread. RISC processors can do it for a long time and both T5 and P7 are RISC processors.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer