Re: Connect to Oracle 11g using PL-SQL developer and SQL PLus

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, October 14, 2013 7:47:20 AM UTC-6, Amir Diwan wrote:
> I have just installed Oracle 11g Personal Edition on my PC today. When I open PL-SqL developer, it asks me for four things:-
>

> 1. Username (oracle never asked for this in the installation)
>
> 2. Password (xyz, that I myself set)
>
> 3. Database ( Oracle created a starter database with the name of db_2 and global db with the name "orcl")
>
> 4. Connect as: Normal
>

> What do I enter in the 4 required fields. The password field is obvious and I would probably enter db_2 in the database name. But what should i enter in the username? Oracle 11g never asked for the username during the installation.
>

> The same issue persist with SQL PLus. When I open it, a command line window opens and it asks a username and password. I tried a lot of combinations but none of them worked.
>

> Is there a default combination of username and password for SQL plus?
>

> Please, help me since I am installing Oracle for the the first time. Also, tell me any good tutorial on how to create/set the tnsnames.ora file that I have heard about and setting the environment variables.
>

> Which has to be done first? The tnsnames.ora file setting and env variable setting or do I connect first?
>

> Regards,

Normally one creates users other than SYS and SYSTEM so that you and others can connect to the database without the relative super powers of the administrative accounts (SYS and SYSTEM are created by default for every Oracle database). Creating user accounts is outlined here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e36292/users.htm#BABGIFFE

Any users you would create using these examples would connect as Normal users. Of course you will need to connect as either SYS or SYSTEM to create additional user accounts and each new account will have its own password.

The database shouldn't need to be specified if the SQL Developer application is installed on the database server -- since this database is probably running on your laptop or personal PC I expect this is the case. If the database is not local then you would use the TNS alias to connect to it. Information regarding the TNS configuration can be found here:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/network.112/e41945/naming.htm#i479588

Again since you are connecting locally the tnsnames.ora file can wait to be configured.

There is no 'default combination of username and password for SQL plus'. Basically on your own personal database you should be able to connect to it using the following command and parameters:

sqlplus / as sysdba

This connects you as SYS AS SYSDBA, the most powerful user in an Oracle database. This user account is NOT to be used lightly or regularly, as other non-SYSDBA user accounts should be created. See the link I provided for creating users to see how this is done.

The online documentation, available here:

http://tahiti.oracle.com

should be a ready reference and bookmarked in your browser favorites. It is the first place you should go to find answers to questions such as this.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Oct 14 2013 - 18:38:44 CEST

Original text of this message