Re: oracle 12c memory option

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 11:20:32 PM UTC-7, vsevolod afanassiev wrote:
> Yes, it sounds very attractive. I think they realized that many people were adding CDC and Vertica to Oracle databases and decided to add Vertica-like data store (columnar store with compressed and sorted columns) to Oracle.
>
> Availability date wasn't announced, normally Oracle doesn't introduce major new features between releases so I guess we have to wait till 12.2.
>
> Also pricing wasn't announced - I expect it to be separately licensed option like partitioning.
>

> Not many details in the presentation, for example: how Optimizer will work with columnar store? Once a table has been placed in memory - will Optimizer direct all queries to this in-memory copy? Or some queries (single-row queries using unique index) will still use traditional db cache and data on disk? How it will work for joins between conventional and in-memory tables? What will happen if in-memory table has grown and no longer fits in the memory area reserved for columnar store?

Those are all good questions. Somewhere (I think on the forums) Jonathan mentioned the tables are redundant views of real tables, so don't need all the redo and undo overhead, or something like that. Oh, here it is: https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2589478

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"NHS tears out its Oracle Spine in favour of open source"  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/10/nhs_drops_oracle_for_riak/