Re: C++ connectivity and Oracle version

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 00:18:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 02:03:20 -0700, pm wrote:

> My question is: should I compile my app for each Oracle/OCCI version?
> Can I achieve the some flexibility, regarding the Oracle version, that
> ODBC gives?

Yes you can. You only need libclntsh.so or the corresponding DLL, whatever the name is. However, if you want to use version dependent calls, then no, you're no longer version independent. By the way, you can also connect Oracle 11g using Oracle 9i client. I don't know about 12c, I have decomissioned my last Oracle 9i client approximately year and a half ago. Jonathan probably has 9i client, he would be the one to ask about the connectivity to Oracle 12c.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer