Re: problems of reports format on dot matrix printer

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:24:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 02:58:53 -0700, akhileshnanoakhi wrote:

> On Saturday, 14 September 2013 16:11:35 UTC+5:30, Robert Klemme  wrote:

>> On 14.09.2013 06:31, akhileshnanoakhi_at_gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > We are doing migration of oracle 6i to 11g but after successful
>>
>> > migration
>>

>> Wow! You've been running an ancient piece of software there. When was
>>
>> Oracle 6 retired?
>>

>> > we took the print out of reports on dot matrix printer but
>>
>> > its faded may be not supporting PDF format in parametre form
>>
>> > although we tried HTML format but failed Kindly assist to solve the
>>
>> > issues...
>>

>> It certainly would help if you state the operating system used and the
>>
>> tool you used to print reports. Usually there exist OS level drivers
>>
>> for PDF printing on all modern OS so printing to PDF is normally not an
>>
>> issue nowadays.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>

>> robert
>>

>> --
>>
>> remember.guy do |as, often| as.you_can - without end
>>
>> http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
>
> Hi Robert Pleasure to see Ur response..
> Operating System:Windows Tool:Adobe
>
> Client:Window(USERS)
> Server :Linux
>
> *WLS(web logic server include Form builder,report builder,form and
> report converter) is used to make forms and reports compatible with
> windows..
>

> Problem we facing:After Fully Migration from 6i to 11g ,the reports we
> made and attempting to print over dot matrix printer its unable  to
> print such as::
> 1)report partially showing.
> 2)Alignment missing.
> 3)PDF font and size not visible clearly(FIXED,12 we using in WLS)
> earlier in 6i it was Courier and size was 10.
> 4)format changed to HTML ,clearity somewhat visible but reports showing
> partially
>
> Kindly suggest me what should we do..is there any problem in
> migration...
>
> Regards Akhil

Dot matrix printer? Have you considered such wanders of technology as inkjet or laser? Dot matrix printers have not been around for a very, very long time. Do you still have the Centronix cable? Is it at least a USB printer? BTW, all modern printing systems should have cups-pdf:

[mgogala_at_medo ~]$ lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: Canon-PIXMA-MG3100 device for Canon-PIXMA-MG3100: lpd://lpt/0D88A3000000 device for Cups-PDF: cups-pdf:/
Canon-PIXMA-MG3100 accepting requests since Thu 01 Aug 2013 06:06:55 PM EDT
Cups-PDF accepting requests since Fri 09 Aug 2013 08:09:01 AM EDT printer Canon-PIXMA-MG3100 is idle. enabled since Thu 01 Aug 2013 06:06:55 PM EDT
printer Cups-PDF is idle. enabled since Fri 09 Aug 2013 08:09:01 AM EDT [mgogala_at_medo ~]$

Please note the Cups-PDF device, which prints the output as a PDF. There is a package called "cups-pdf" for most modern Red Hat knock-offs. You can use Cups-PDF to actually see what your output will look like. As for Canon, that is a perfect little home "all in one" printer/scanner which works with both SANE and Cups. The price tag is whopping $70. It's an ink-jet, my last dot matrix Epson died years ago.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer