Re: How to print column heading only in SQL plus

From: Eric <eric_at_deptj.eu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 21:08:29 +0100

On 2013-09-12, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:45:53 +0100, Eric wrote:
>

>> Mladen, you are being unreasonable. If you think of it as an
>> old-fashioned reporting tool, SQL*Plus is not that bad.
>
> Well, I'm trying to use it as an interactive administration tool only.
> Writing reports with sqlplus results in long and arcane shell scripts and
> I strongly prefer other tools for reports. If all you have is sqlplus,
> then everything looks like a nail, or so they say.

You can be _very_ arcane in SQL*Plus itself (see Tanel Poder's Snapper), but I don't see why a shell script needs to be arcane, there are three basic was to call SQL*Plus from a shell:

. sqlplus x/y_at_db1 @myscript.sql

. sqlplus x/y_at_db1 <<HEREDOC

. print "script stuff" | sqlplus x/y_at_db1

Because you can replace the print by anything at all as long as it generates a script, that one can possibly get a bit arcane, but almost all the time there is no need to.

Eric

--
ms fnd in a lbry