Pleasant surprise with Virtualbox on F18

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 21:54:00 +0000 (UTC)

I'm patching my demo RAC 11.2.0.3 configuration with the PSU for July 2013. I have 2 nodes, 4GB memory allocated for each. The total memory consumption for both nodes is 6.5GB, which is significantly less than 8GB

That is because of the memory compaction algorithm in the newer Linux kernels which, if the same read-only page is mapped into more than 1 physical frame, reduces all of the mappings to the single frame. A year ago, memory was leaking left and right, two 4G nodes would use 10GB RAM. This is a really, really nice change.

So far, it goes flawlessly. I always patch $GRID_HOME and $ORACLE_HOME separately. Not that I distrust the software, but....

RS-4133: Oracle High Availability Services has been stopped. Successfully unlock /11.2.0/grid
patch /tmp/patch/16619898 apply successful for home /11.2.0/grid patch /tmp/patch/16619892 apply successful for home /11.2.0/grid .....

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer