Re: MOBI versions of the literature

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 00:25:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:46:16 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> I downloaded the MOBI version of the "Concepts" book (the first book
> that I ever read for any new version of Oracle) and it doesn't have
> contents which should pop-up when I push the "content" button on my
> Kindle. It has a content which is a part of the book and I have to use
> "follow the link"
> option which is extremely inconvenient.
> The existing EPUB versions do have contents which pops up when the
> button is pressed, but that's checked with the FBReader, since Kindle
> doesn't support EPUB. When I convert the EPUB to MOBI using Calibre, the
> content button behaves as expected. This is a sloppy job, Oracle. Kindle
> versions of the Oracle documentation are useless.
> Conversion with the Calibre, even on a quad-core AMD, with 16GB of RAM
> is taking over 1 hour. Unfortunately, Calibre cannot do parallel
> processing,
> so having 4 cores doesn't really help me all that much.

Just a tip for the Oracle corp: I tried with the 2nd Day DBA book and it also didn't have "contents" appear on my Kindle when the button is pressed. Fedora Calibre 09.36 did a marvelous job on the EPUB version. I bought a Kindle reader few years ago and I like it because of the E-Ink screen which doesn't make my eyes tires. I don't want a full fledged tablet, I want just to read books. I am aware of the fact that the newer versions of Kindle support EPUB but I don't want to throw away money at something that can be resolved by the vendor.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer