Re: Virtual Databases

From: Justin Mungal <justin_at_n0de.ws>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 19:24:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, May 20, 2013 9:03:02 PM UTC-5, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Mon, 20 May 2013 09:20:31 -0700, joel garry wrote:
>

> > Maybe I'm not following you, but they have to pay for a full license for
>
> > that other box (at least if they are running the instance).
>

> Who are "they"? I have worked for a company who was running several
>
> standby databases and underwent a license audit by Oracle Corp. without
>
> having to pay for an instance. I'm aware of such interpretations, but
>
> the EE license explicitly says that a physical standby is included.
>

> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287.pdf
>

> That means that you don't have to pay for the standby. If you had to
>
> pay for the standby, then the license inclusion would be senseless. However,
>
> I am aware of the fact that different Oracle sales organizations do things
>
> differently, even toward the different clients. There are other, conflicting
>
> documents, which ensure enough mess so that the sales reps can interpret
>
> things as they like it. Here is one such document:
>

> http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/data-recovery-licensing-070587.pdf
>

> That changes the calculation significantly. However, this is not applied
>
> consistently as the customers are already crying foul.
>

> --
>
> Mladen Gogala
>
> The Oracle Whisperer
>
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Hi Mladen,

You need to have a full license for standby systems. The EE license includes a physical standby license because Data Guard is a part of the EE license, but that doesn't mean the license includes installing EE on another server in a standby configuration.

Please take a look at page 21 of the Software Investment Guide: http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf

Oracle very carefully defines the following DR strategies: Backup, Failover, Standby, and Remote Mirroring. You can see the licensing requirements for them on page 20 and 21 of the Software Investment Guide.

The data recovery licensing document you linked also confirms this in the standby section:

" If the primary database fails, a standby database can be activated to be the new primary database. In this environment, the primary and the standby databases must be fully licensed. "

I hope this helps.

Justin Received on Tue May 21 2013 - 04:24:02 CEST

Original text of this message