Re: NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS = CHAR import is too slow

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 14:38:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 2:38:13 PM UTC-6, zigz..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am converting a database from its current character set WE8ISO88591 to AL32UTF8
>
> I am using NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS to CHAR so I do not have to increase column lengths.
>

> I follow Oracle instructions:
>
> 144808.1
>
> 313175.1
>

> Except import which takes way too long.
>

> I took a full export of WE8ISO8859p1 Database and now importing it in AL32UTF8.
>

> It is always difficult to prove where the slowness is coming from; but I think it has to do something with NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS. On the same
>
> server; if new database was in WE8ISO8859P1, a 5 million row table import took 2 hours; but in Al32UTF8 with NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS it is taking 1 day!!!
>

> Any idea how to improve the performance of import.

Can you post any proof that the NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS setting is causing your 'problem'? It's SO easy to jump to conclusions and impossible to jump back. Possibly you should provide evidence of your findings rather than speculation.

"Pardon me," said Milo to the first man who happened by; "can you tell me where I am?"

"To be sure," said Canby; "you're on the Island of Conclusions. Make yourself at home. You're apt to be here for some time."

"But how did we get here?" asked Milo, who was still a bit puzzled by being there at all.

"You jumped, of course," explained Canby. "That's the way most everyone gets here. It's really quite simple: every time you decide something without having a good reason, you jump to Conclusions whether you like it or not. It's such an easy trip to make that I've been here hundreds of times."

"But this is such an unpleasant-looking place," Milo remarked.

"Yes, that's true," admitted Canby; "it does look much better from a distance."

As he spoke, at least eight or nine more people sailed onto the island from every direction possible.

"Well, I'm going to jump right back," announced the Humbug, who took two or three practice bends, leaped as far as he could, and landed in a heap two feet away.

"That won't do at all," scolded Canby, helping him to his feet. "You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon May 06 2013 - 23:38:55 CEST

Original text of this message