Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: Arne Vajhøj <arne_at_vajhoej.dk>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 18:28:47 -0500

On 2/4/2013 5:09 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:12:39 -0500, Arne Vajhøj <arne_at_vajhoej.dk>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> By the judgement of the author or by the judgement of
>> neutral judges??
>
> Who cares about neutral judges? How about someone with some skin
> in?
>
> I maintain an in-house client billing app that has a form for
> handling invoicing. There are 34 buttons for various general
> functions that one might want to do and for each work order being
> presented, there are two or three (depends on circumstances) more
> buttons. This is the sort of design that could get submitted to the
> Interface Hall of Shame.
>
> However, and this is a big however, it makes invoicing fairly
> easy. The owner of the company suggested the general approach. I
> made it work. He uses it for invoicing, and when I was working Down
> There, I was doing invoicing with it as well. It works and works
> well.
>
> But a neutral judge might choke on the buttons.

I doubt it. Good UX is different for different types of people. People that use an app a lot is known to prefer to have as much functionality as possible directly accessible without going through too much hassle.

And anyway it is not really your idea, so you do not risk your judgement to be influenced by owners pride. The owner may be a poor judge as it is his baby.

Arne Received on Tue Feb 05 2013 - 00:28:47 CET

Original text of this message