Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: BGB <cr88192_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 00:31:34 -0600

On 1/25/2013 9:10 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/25/2013 12:06 AM, BGB wrote:

>>> If you decided that you preferred Java over PHP, then
>>> you would replace PHP with a Java EE web container (Tomcat
>>> would be obvious) and write your web app using Java EE
>>> technologies like servlet, JSP and JSF.
>>
>> I use PHP mostly for sake of running MediaWiki, which is probably the
>> biggest/most complicated thing on the site.
>

> You could use Java for the same purpose:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAMWiki

interesting...

MediaWiki is cool as well, and works well enough, though I ended up ultimately disabling the ability of people to create new user-accounts mostly as a spam-control measure (bots kept coming along and flooding the wiki with spam).

I had once considered the idea using a variant of MediaWiki syntax as part of a stand-alone documentation system (sort of like a mix of MediaWiki, Windows Help, and Javadoc), but never really got around to it.

the main idea though would be to do it as a single self-contained tool, in contrast to something like MediaWiki which has a list of dependencies needed to make it work (like MySQL and PHP and similar, and assumes using a web-server + browser, ...).

but, as noted, I never got to it, and don't currently have any concrete plans for doing so.

most of my documentation thus far is either as plain text files, or sometimes as HTML documents.

>> my own CGI binaries have typically been written in C and compiled into
>> EXE's before being copied over to the server.
>

> Servlets that are the part of Java EE which is pure Java code that
> get executed by HTTP requests.
>

> But inlike CGI scripts they get loaded once and kept in memory
> and run in threads not in separate processes.

yep, could improve performance some I guess.

> Arne

> Received on Sat Jan 26 2013 - 07:31:34 CET

Original text of this message