Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: Arne Vajhøj <arne_at_vajhoej.dk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:56:34 -0500

On 1/24/2013 7:15 AM, cipher wrote:
> Additionally, at least one major software outfit, Libre Office, has
> announced their intentions to scrap Java in favor of another solution.
> As it is, only the DB portion of LO relies on Java...

I did not see that announcement.

DB is the big Java part, but there are also some other minor pieces in Java.

Java in OO/LO has always been controversial.

But I suspect that they may find it difficult to get rid of.

They need to find a new DB engine and integrate with that.

They need to replace all the Java code. It may not be the biggest parts, but some years ago (around OOo 3.1 time) I counted almost 3500 Java sources files in the source.

And they have the DB conversion issue. Can they live with not being able to open old databases or do they include HSQLDB and Java the next 5 years to be able to convert old databases.

Arne Received on Thu Jan 24 2013 - 16:56:34 CET

Original text of this message