Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: Arne Vajhøj <arne_at_vajhoej.dk>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 10:24:34 -0500

On 1/24/2013 10:01 AM, Ezekiel wrote:
> "cipher" <cipher_at_nospamforme.org> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 07:37:37 -0500, Ezekiel Inscribed upon the Golden
>> Tablets of Usenet thusly:
>>
>>> Say what??? How did you come up with that ridiculous conclusion?
>>
>> I'll dig it up, but I read it.
>>
>> here's one:
>>
>> <http://www.lockergnome.com/uncategorized/2010/11/12/libre-office-using-
>> java-to-a-lesser-extent/>
>>

> That's a fairly old link (2010) from some anonymous person (theoracle). The
> very specific list of modules using Java is from the Libre Office itself and
> is from 2012. I'm inclined to take their word on it.
>
>> I have no Java and LO works fine but for the DB. The DB needs
>> Are you actually using it?
>
> Yes I do have it installed on a couple of my Linux machines (work and home)
> and use it occasionally. I also have Java installed and since I need and
> use Java for other things I don't have any plans to remove Java.

It is well known that OO/LO can be used without Java.

You can't use the database and a few other things, but the rest is working.

Why someone would bother I don't understand (it is just a few hundred MB of disk space).

But it is certainly doable.

Arne Received on Thu Jan 24 2013 - 16:24:34 CET

Original text of this message