Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: BGB <cr88192_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 04:44:42 -0600

On 1/24/2013 4:03 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 12:47 AM, BGB wrote:

>>> I don't think Java should worry about C++. For business apps, then
>>> C++ is not really an option. And business apps is what Java is good
>>> at.
>>>

>> some of us never go anywhere near business apps though...
>>

>> for example, I am mostly at-present a game developer, with side areas in
>> audio/video processing (writing codecs, ...), and am also into things
>> like compilers and scripting VM technology.
>>
>> these are generally areas where C and C++ have a much stronger hold.
>>
> [ SNIP ]
>
> "Business" apps is however the core strength of Java, that and all the
> tooling that goes along with it. I couldn't care less if Java is found
> on *any* consumer computer, because that's not particularly important.
>
> It comes back to this: you pick a language because of what it's suited
> for, or after languages have been around for a while, what other people
> already have used it for.
>
> For "enterprise" type work the languages used are variable. For example,
> if you're dealing with IBM WebSphere MQ, depending on your task, you
> might be using a .NET language, Java, C or C++. But nevertheless a great
> deal of applications from the big iron companies are Java SE and EE.

well, yes, but this creates a split:
people writing business apps have reason to use it, since it does fairly well at this particular domain;
people doing other stuff have less reason to use it (since, they are not writing business apps, and it doesn't have as many strong points outside this area).

it is worth noting though that the original topic applied mostly to end-users using Java on Windows systems, and presumably what sorts of apps this implies (most likely end-user applications, running on desktop PCs).

very likely, this largely amounts to things like OpenOffice and Minecraft and similar...

but, Java doesn't otherwise make a strong presence in this space.

granted, yes, I may be biased some in that I don't really write all that much Java code (admittedly, I have written a lot more C and C# code, and ironically, more C# thus far than C++). actually, there is more code in my scripting-language than in C++ as well at present it seems (so, the language-use ranking based on line-counts of my project is like: C, C#, BS, C++, Java).

all sort of glued together into a single Mloc-sized project... C is dominiant, and also sort of the "common hub" language, as pretty much everything can talk to C, but not as often to each other.

or such... Received on Thu Jan 24 2013 - 11:44:42 CET

Original text of this message