Re: linux servers that do not boot up on /dev/sda make me grumpy ...

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:36:22 -0800 (PST)

Mladen:

# Yes, I did.

... Also, linux dropped support for IP over FC.

OK ... sorry I don't understand why that would be related to my blog post. The driver that was removed is LPFC / lpfc ( not IPFC / ipfc if that is what you were thinking ).

... NetApp used to do it for SnapMirror over FC, but that is no longer the case.

OK ... again not understanding why that is relevant.

# Why do you need the lastest version of dracut? Any version will do?

Need the latest to support the option --omit-drivers lpfc ... oracle support gave me that command to run.

The installed version of dracut on 6.2 gives a syntax error for that option until you upgrade to latest.

I for one still don't understand much about "why" doing the rebuild of this initramfs image ( whatever that is ) without the lpfc driver ( whatever that is ) always boots up my servers on /dev/sda but before that driver was removed the server would sometimes come up on a different device.

# The LVM remark was about the UUID complaint.

Ummm ... I wasn't trying to complain ... don't really want to be a linux system admin but at least I document how systems are installed and configured. It just seemed to be a change in how the /etc/fstab entries look in 6.x. Received on Mon Jan 21 2013 - 02:36:22 CET

Original text of this message