Re: A potential bug (infinite loop) in Oracle: querying v$access

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 05:09:41 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:52:12 -0800, joel garry wrote:

> Happy New Year to you, too, Big Brother!
>
> I hear oracle-l has some good filtering <g,d&r>

This is a painful subject for me, so let me elaborate a bit on this: Steve Adams, being a prudish prick that he is and having not done any work with Oracle for years, has nothing to do with what happened. Establishing a new list or coming over here would be the easiest thing in the world and yet it didn't happen.

The reason is that the majority of the consultants on the list see that list as a perfect marketing tool for customer hunting. They have a reputation to maintain, in order to justify rather large consulting fees, and a list having just a few qualified professionals would not be very useful for money.making purposes. We're not friends, we're not family, they have to make money and they need guys like that guy who cannot find 5 of his drives, which means that ORADATA disk group in his ASM volume manager is inaccessible, along with the company data. It's what I call "Larry, Curly & Moe method of database administration". A perfect candidate for a $400/hr consultant to rescue the company.

There is also another climate change which has rendered the list useless: Oracle is more closed than ever. They're not dispensing any internal information, unless they absolutely have to, or unless somebody pays for it. They have the title of "Ace Director" who has access to some privileged information and which is given to some consultants to bolster their consulting fees. They will not dispense such information freely, on a mailing list, they will do it for $400/hr.

That means that there isn't much to learn on the list. Metastink still doesn't return any hits if you search for X$KSLHOT, several years after K. Gopalakrishnan has published the table description in his RAC 10 book. That should tell you everything you need to know about the information sharing by the Oracle Corp. If Oracle support site doesn't have much of the interesting stuff, what can you expect from a publicly available mailing list?

I am not a gypsy consultant, I don't need that list. There is nothing for me there. That is the same thing as with OTN forums. Too much traffic, too much effort for no result whatsoever. I wanted to return to the list for purely sentimental reasons, when I thought that the old prick finally decided that policing the list is not worth the effort, but unfortunately, it wasn't to be. However, I will not return to the list. I have no use for such a forum any more.
This is much more to my liking: there are few of us here who post when we have something, like with the Bloom filters, and do not generate much traffic other than that.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer