Re: RMAN Question

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:35:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 07:51:15 -0800, billshatner71 wrote:

> My concern was more about recovery windows and redundancy settings.
>
> I'm happy to have to recover from tape if absolutely necessary but if a
> backup was outside of these time periods and I still had all the
> archived redo logs, could I still recover?

Bill, yes you can still recover. Your backups will be declared "OBSOLETE" when they fall out of the recovery window. As long as you don't do "DELETE FORCE NOPROMPT OBSOLETE BACKUP OF DATABASE", you should be OK. This is rather elementary question, covered in Oracle online documentation as well as several books, including ones by Rob Freeman and Arup Nanda. You should, however, use catalog as your control file will forget everything about the backups after CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME days.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com