Re: RMAN Question

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 08:12:14 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 2, 6:15 am, billshatne..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Because of space issues I'd like to keep one backupset on tape and allow that to get copied to tape each night but still be able to recover from previous backups from tape.
>
> What's the best way of doing this?
>
> Thanks.

What size database?

Personally I much prefer doing backups to disk and using that as primary/preferred recovery strategy.

You can move disk backups to tape via a whole bunch of different software or use rman.

Another question is how long are you keeping archive logs around on disk?

As long as you have all the available archive logs you can restore a tape backup from any arbitrary date and recover forward. Received on Wed Jan 02 2013 - 17:12:14 CET

Original text of this message