Re: RMAN error: ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:04:35 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 5, 4:58 am, gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:05:46 AM UTC-5, Eric wrote:
> > On 2012-12-05, gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com <gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > SQL> select count(*) "total_count" from hr.employees;
>
> > > total_count
>
> > > -----------
>
> > >         107
>
> > Which proves that you have a *schema* called HR, not a tablespace! You
>
> > appear to be operating in a fog of insufficient knowledge.
>
> > Eric
>
> > --
>
> > ms fnd in a lbry
>
> I ran SELECT * FROM DBA_USERS; and found that the default tablespace of HR is Users.
>
> So, the question becomes what I should do to backup only HR instead of everything in the Users tablespace.
>
> If you'd like to offer a reference to Oracle documentation, please be more specific (instead of doc.oracle.com). Thank you.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e22490/dp_export.htm#BEHEFFAB

Some people consider requests like that as asking people to do your work for you. You need to learn what is where in the docs and how to search them. (Hint: You can download the docs for your version, or select your version at tahiti.oracle.com. You can also search with google by adding the qualifiers site:docs.oracle.com and your marketing version to your search.) Personally I'm not so bothered, as I consider giving an example link a clue that many people pick up on, but unfortunately enough people are lazy and stupid enough to expect people to do their work that it is an issue.

You should read the Concepts manual, which is specifically designed to tell you how Oracle works and what the terminology is. Some of it is slightly different than other database engines. Schema pretty much equals User.

Some people may also disabuse you about the term backup. Usually they mean a transactional backup, which you can't do with an export. Export is a logical backup, which means in some situations you can lose data (which would be some of the data after the start of the backup, among other things). So many people don't like calling it a backup. Mladen said it right.

A while back I wrote a page for newbies, not maintained lately but still useful: http://dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.