Re: RMAN error: ORA-01031 Insufficient privileges

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 15:29:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 06:02:24 -0800, gnewsgroup wrote:

> So, I am connected to XE as sys. Now I want to back up only tablespace
> hr, how to do it? All I found online is this simple command: BACKUP
> DATABASE. That doesn't tell me what it is backing up. I don't want to
> back up all tablespaces in my XE instance.
>
> Thanks.

Have you tried "BACKUP TABLESPACE"?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10643/rcmsynta007.htm#i78895

Also, make sure that you are launching rman from the account which is a member of ORA_DBA group. You need that group to be able to connect as SYSDBA which is what RMAN does when connecting to the database. Also, I can wholeheartedly recommend Rob Freeman's RMAN books as well as Sam Alapati's and Arup Nanda's "RMAN recipes". In addition to all that, Oracle documentation is accessible freely on the internet. The addresses are:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/indexes/documentation/index.html http://tahiti.oracle.com/

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com