Re: disable sql tuning advisor

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:19:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 08:08:24 -0800, John Hurley wrote:

> Maria ( from europe ) blogged about it here (
> http://oraclespot.wordpress.com/2012/02/10/auto_sql_tuning/ ) and there
> is a brief oracle doc item on it here at 1344499.1 so looks like can
> still occur in 11.2.0.3 but mine is 11.1.0.7.12 .

That's a very bad news for DBA 2.0. They'll have to do some tuning manually. BTW, with the proliferation of tuning tools and demons and other automated ways for SQL exorcism, people seem to have forgotten that SQL tuning starts with the application design. I believe that running application which utilize a relational database still requires significant degree of skills and knowledge of database, the underlying operating systems and programming concepts. Also, knowledge of the scripting languages is required. Scripting languages like Perl, PHP or Python are the glue to integrate all kinds of data formats and data sources. OEM is a smart tool, but not smart enough to receive an email from external data source and insert the relevant data from the attached spreadsheet into the database directly. Such tasks are more and more frequent for the DBA.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer