Re: Large pages

From: TheBoss <TheBoss_at_invalid.nl>
Date: 21 Nov 2012 20:56:22 GMT

joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in news:a68df625-c348-4647-af90-3bab27dd97e9_at_uc4g2000pbc.googlegroups.com:
> On Nov 20, 10:31 pm, Noons <wizofo..._at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> hhkr..._at_gmail.com wrote,on my timestamp of 20/11/2012 10:01 PM:
>>
>> > That's interesting... My reason for requesting the cio mount
>> > option for some AIX jfs2 filesystems (which BTW don't contain
>> > anything but Oracle .dbf files) is that otherwise any attempt at
>> > accessing the .dbf files from "outside" - cp or TSM ARCHIVE - fails
>> > with "Invalid argument" because the Oracle instance has the file
>> > open with the cio option due to filesystemio_options = SETALL, but
>> > the utility attempts to open the file without cio.
>>
>> That should not be a problem at all with Aix 7.1. But I'll give it a
>> try as well, just to be absolutely sure.
>>
>> > My need for this is caused by some .dbf files for a READ ONLY
>> > tablespace, which I want to archive on tape, preferably without
>> > first taking the tablespace OFFLINE, which is the only workaround
>> > I have found. I'm on AIX 5.3.
>>
>> Better yet: use RMAN to copy them to the FRA and then zoom them off
>> from there.
>> Nowadays I use RMAN for just about everything to do with datafiles.
>> 11.2.0.3 and Aix 7.1 here.
>
> Googling:
> rman read only datafiles
>
> Gives some interesting reading, especially Hemant pointing out the
> difference with backup optimization set on.

And an equally interesting article on Martin Bach's blog:

http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/rman-duplicate-and- read-only-tablespaces/

And while we are talking AIX, he also has an interesting one on that:

http://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2010/11/01/frightening-number-of- linking-errors-for-11-2-0-1-3-on-aix-5-3-tl11/

--
Jeroen