Re: Large pages

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:51:43 -0000

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366720(v=vs.85).aspx

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/docs/oracle/10g/win.101/b10113/ap_64bit.htm#CHDGFJJD

| I've built such an instance only once, but I am no longer working for the
| company that I built it for. Does anybody else here use that? What are
the
| experiences? This has been mentioned on a discussion forum.

Not used it for Windows - but I wonder how relevant (or not) it might be when compared to the Unix variant. The commonly stated problem relates to the size of the memory map - along the lines of having an 8 byte pointer for an 8KB page.

In Unix (unless you use intimate shared memory) you get one map per process - so an Oracle system with 1,000 processes would end up using as much memory for maps of the SGA as it would on the SGA itself if it were using standard pages. In Windows Oracle runs as a single process with multiple threads - does this mean it needs only one map with the result that standard pages don't present the same memory threat ?

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all-postings

Author: Oracle Core (Apress 2011)