Re: Does Oracle encourage developers to use cursors?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 08:49:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 20, 7:59 am, gnewsgr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> I've asked this at asp.net forum, but I think we have more gurus here to get more educational, informative information about my confusion.
>
> I am new to Oracle, but not new to SQL Server and .NET application development.  I think it is a general understanding that we should try to avoid using cursors as much as possible at least with sql server, because it just doesn't perform that well.
>
> But if we read any Oracle PL/SQL primer, I bet you will be reading about cursors after cursors.
>
> So, is cursor simply the established practice of Oracle to get our data?  Is oracle cursor internally different from that of SQL Server such that it doesn't cause any performance hit?
>
> Any thoughts? Thank you.

Also see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/dotnet/williams-refcursors-092375.html

I second what John referenced, and emphasize there are things that work significantly different in Oracle. Pay especial attention to the transaction management chapters in the concepts manual. Even some experienced developers do it wrong. Manuals are online at tahiti.oracle.com.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.zdnet.com/oracles-hurd-world-is-drowning-in-data-warns-of-overload-7000006141/