Re: hanging with the oracle nerds

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:59:59 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.wtfistheacevest.com/ doesn't have anything yet.

> Some of the nerds are dang good athletes ... ( me ... not bad at
> all ) ... but Connor McDonald looks buffed and strong.
>
> The swim was pretty fun until after 20 minutes in cold ( really cold )
> water trying to get out and the legs not working so good.  Five
> minutes of running up Knob Hill had all the body parts warmed up again
> though.

When I was young and strong, I was at a resort near lake Tahoe, called something like North Star. They had an outdoor Jacuzzi at 100+F, and a large pool, unheated, and probably kept from freezing with chemicals, below 32. Maybe a foot of snow on the ground, and we're, shall we say, feeling no pain, sitting in the Jacuzzi watching the falling snow melt on the steam. So of course, having once been swimming in a lake at 12000 feet with ice floating around in it, I suggest to my friends we go for a swim across the pool and back. One followed me. About half way across, every muscle in my body started to cramp and I was wondering if it was really a good idea. Anyways, we made it across and back, and stumbled into the Jacuzzi to applause and accolations. After a while, numb changed to burning.

A few days later, we were at a different place, in a Jacuzzi with an unheated pool, and had struck up a conversation with some other tipsy guests, who it turned out worked at an aerospace company very near where we were from. So we told them what we did, and one guy goes "that sounds like a great idea!" jumps in the pool and starts swimming. Meanwhile, a lady in his group remarks to me "you'd never know he had open heart surgery last year." I was never so glad to see someone else get out of a freezing pool.

So that's what I think of when you say "really cold."

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
Shrinkage.