Oracle-sequence and NOORDER

From: rop <rop049_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 01:07:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am analyzing a trouble-report on an application, and now suspect this is because an oracle-sequence in the db is defined with NOORDER, while the application expects the numbers to always come in increasing order.

I am therefore trying to re-create the problem in test-environment... I have defined a sequence with NOORDER and CACHE 20 (default), and running several different processes against the sequence simultaneously,
but all the processes only seem to get increasing values from the sequence.
They never get a smaller value than the previous value.

So, my question is, what are the circumstances under which a NOORDER sequence will ACTUALLY generate values that are out-of-order?

The oracle-doc says that NOORDER does not GUARANTEE the values are in order,
but in practice they still seem to come out in order.

Is it possible to create a test-case where they actually do come out- -order? Received on Thu Sep 20 2012 - 03:07:08 CDT

Original text of this message