Re: Sic transit gloria mundi

From: Matthias Hoys <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

On Monday, September 17, 2012 6:07:08 PM UTC+2, joel garry wrote:
> On Sep 16, 11:14 am, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://www.osnews.com/story/26376/HP_CEO_we_have_to_offer_a_smartphone
>

> > HP sees cell phones as its saving grace. From the hindsight, it seems
>
> > that Scott McNeally was right when he was talking about HP as a wonderful
>
> > printer company. They have absolutely messed up the high end computer
>

> Hows that Sun thing working out for him?
>

> > business they were in. I had an opportunity to work on HP-UX 11.31 on
>
> > Itanic, quite recently and it's a mess.
>
> > It looks like the old idea of getting back to profitability by cutting
>
> > down on work force and services is still alive. I bet that their next big
>
> > move will involve HP music store.
>

> Quote from his wikipedia page: ""There’s a pendulum thing where stuff
>
> is on the client side and then goes back into the network where it
>
> belongs. The answering machine put voicemail by the desk, and then it
>
> went back into the network. Your iPod is like your home answering
>
> machine. I guarantee you it will be hard to sell an iPod five or seven
>
> years from now when every cell phone can access your entire music
>
> library wherever you are." That was in 2006. The Register's comment
>
> was "Well, sure. Unless your iPod is your cell phone."
>

> I always loved his speechifying at OOW. I wonder what the British
>
> royals think about his privacy stance?
>

> My unix lifecycle went something like this: Duplix (eh?), SunOS
>
> (BSD), SunOS 2.x, VMS ("posix is more unix than unix"), DEC unix/
>
> Ultrix, AIX, hp-ux, Solaris, linux (a few dozen early varieties), hp-
>
> ux Itanium. And a sprinkling of Xenix and some other more obscure
>
> things. And you know what? All of those and the hardware
>
> manufacturers associated with them have gone through life cycles,
>
> sometimes at an unexpectedly rapid pace. It is really difficult
>
> strategically to continue a mature computer business. What's-her-name
>
> has a pretty easy job, fix what's already messed up, get loads of
>
> money whether you do or do not.
>

> jg
>
> --
>
> _at_home.com is bogus.
>
> https://emeapressoffice.oracle.com/Press-Releases/Oracle-Issues-Statement-301c.aspx

True. And software out-of-support status arrives too quickly. Oracle 10g is still working great for us. Do *we* REALLY need 11g? Nope. But we're forced to upgrade otherwise we lose support and we'll probably have compatibility problems with other software sooner or later. Oh, and my Windows XP at home is still running great also ;-)

Matthias Received on Mon Sep 17 2012 - 15:53:15 CDT

Original text of this message