Re: Sic transit gloria mundi

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:34:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:44:51 PM UTC-6, John Hurley wrote:
> Mladen:
>

> # I had an opportunity to work on HP-UX 11.31 on Itanic, quite
>
> recently and it's a mess.
>

> What specifically did you find "messy" about 11.31? Maybe you have
>
> not been working much on hpux recently?
>

> It of course still has a combination of old tools like sam and glance
>
> ( like all hpux systems do ) and now top. Most of the basic
>
> diagnostics tools still work pretty much the same. I don't touch it
>
> much but our apps are still running on it.

HP-UX, on the whole, isn't that bad but it certainly doesn't compare favorably to Tru64 and ultrix, both much better and cleaner to administer. We're running HP-UX on some systems and the issues we're having with performance caused the ERP system to be migrated to Linux (granted that's on an Exadata quarter rack, but it's Linux nontheless). Filesystem mount options don't always work as expected creating performance issues and bottlenecks for filesystems used by Oracle databases for data/temp/index files and the ability to reconfigure HBAs 'on the fly' is, well, disappointing. Maybe part of the problem is the SuperDome ERP is currently running on (those haven't been the most robust of machines, either) -- the performance has been less than stellar for that combination which is why Oracle could step in and take the business from HP with the Exadata machine. [Exadata is a different animal, to be sure, but it's getting better as I understand more of how the integrated pieces work together. It is, to say the least, a very fast platform.]

I've worked on various HP O/S offerings over the years and HP-UX, in its most recent incarnation, is nothing to write home about.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Sep 16 2012 - 17:34:17 CDT

Original text of this message