Re: How to rebulid the primary after failover.

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 13, 5:25 am, finn..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> We have performed a failover in our environment by the below method . It was worst we are not able to bring up the production the only choice left over is failover.
>
> We have enabled the flash back and created a checkpoint then failover.
>
> SQL>  select max(sequence#) from v$log_history;
>
> MAX(SEQUENCE#)
> --------------
>           9221
>
> SQL> alter system set db_recovery_file_dest_size=14G;
>
> System altered.
>
> SQL>  alter system set db_recovery_file_dest='/u01/oradata/flashback';
>
> System altered.
>
> SQL> alter database recover managed standby database cancel;
>
> Database altered.
>
> SQL> alter database flashback on;
>
> Database altered.
>
> SQL> create restore point before_open_standby guarantee flashback database;
>
> Restore point created.
>
> SQL> alter database activate standby database;
>
> Database altered.
>
> SQL> select database_role from v$database;
>
> DATABASE_ROLE
> ----------------
> PRIMARY
>
> SQL> shutdown immediate;
> ORA-01109: database not open
>
> Database dismounted.
> ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQL> startup
> ORACLE instance started.
>
> SQL>  select max(sequence#) from v$log_history;
>
> MAX(SEQUENCE#)
>           9221   (This is the log sequence same after the failover also)
>
> after the we have nearly some 30 log sequence are generated but it started from the no 1.
>
> Now we need to rebuild the Production DB and to sync with the standby.. please help us with the steps and suggest some documents.

I seem to recall there are or were documents under the high availability index (maybe MAA or maximum availability architecture might be good search terms) at oracle.com that explain the steps for this, though it could be in the docs these days. If you haven't set things up exactly right to failback, you may have to back up from the former standby to the former prod, just as you originally created the standby. You shouldn't have to, but if you haven't tested and validated everything previously, it's hard to say. And as John noted, exact versions and configuration are important details.

I'm rusty at this, but it's not too hard in these modern times if you are careful about all the details. TIMTOWTDI.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/12/new-ucan-managers-find-records-missing/