Re: how much cpu on a database rac cluster

From: Jack <none_at_INVALIDmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:37:06 +0300

"Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:pan.2012.09.05.19.22.31_at_gmail.com...
> On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 13:36:13 +0300, Jack wrote:
>

>> Dilemma: Integrated or Separated Old cunsulting advise (IBM),
>> if existing is Integrated adwise separated if existing is
>> separated/distributed adwise Integrated
>> That is the way to make money, and also you have perpetual-motion
>> machine, vola!
>
> I am a consultant now but I would never pull such a scam on my clients.
> This is a trick from the good old times, when IBM was a monopoly. That is
> no longer the case, for almost 3 decades now. Today, tricks like that do
> not work.
>

>>> Design that uses separate schemas and separate tablespaces would save
>>> even more. Most money is saved by not wasting available resources. 10
>>> databases on a single machine wastes resources.
>> How much do you save money? Say numebers $?£, thanks.
>
> I don't have numbers, as could be expected. I have participated in a few
> consolidation projects and they have all ended up with a single database
> to rule them all, single database to find them, single database to bring
> them all and with PL/SQL bind them, in the land of Redwood Shores where
> the new releases are born.
>
> The idea of a DB consolidation project has always been to prevent wasting
> of resources, pool together what can be pooled and make processes
> smoother. Oracle instance imposes a significant overhead on the
> underlying machine and increasing that overhead is not the right way, at
> least in my humble opinion.

So, you have not made your home work? No numbers $? You do not know, are you saving or wasting money. !?! These could be poor desisions when counting money.

Surely I agreed that when only counting bits (as jerks usually only do) it can be wise,
but for business agility and software life-cycle, it could also be bad idea.

The whole idea is to save money, time and resources. And in that particular order. Received on Fri Sep 07 2012 - 01:37:06 CDT

Original text of this message