Re: how much cpu on a database rac cluster

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 3:31:31 PM UTC-4, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 06:01:57 -0700, dshproperty wrote: > Dear group, > > Our 3 nodes RAC cluster (Dell, 32 core, hosting 6 databases) is using > about 10 percent cpu during normal business hour. At peak, it use about > 30% cpu. > > Did we allocate too much CPU on this box? We are investigating whether > it is worth the risk of reducing CPU to save money > > Thanks for your help 32 cores on 3 nodes? Nodes are not equal? Also, you should only have one DB on one cluster. Having 6 databases on a single cluster is an enormous waste of resources which doesn't buy you anything. -- Mladen Gogala http://mgogala.freehostia.com

Not using each machine resourses appropriately on a 3 node cluster would be a waste of resources. There is no need to have separate servers to run additional databases. Plus if you use a separate cluster to support a second database you have to buy another Oracle license. Why not just use the one you have to its fullest?

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --   Received on Thu Sep 06 2012 - 10:58:42 CDT

Original text of this message