Re: how much cpu on a database rac cluster

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 19:23:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 13:36:13 +0300, Jack wrote:

> Dilemma: Integrated or Separated Old cunsulting advise (IBM),
> if existing is Integrated adwise separated if existing is
> separated/distributed adwise Integrated
> That is the way to make money, and also you have perpetual-motion
> machine, vola!

I am a consultant now but I would never pull such a scam on my clients. This is a trick from the good old times, when IBM was a monopoly. That is no longer the case, for almost 3 decades now. Today, tricks like that do not work.

>> Design that uses separate schemas and separate tablespaces would save
>> even more. Most money is saved by not wasting available resources. 10
>> databases on a single machine wastes resources.
> How much do you save money? Say numebers $?£, thanks.

I don't have numbers, as could be expected. I have participated in a few consolidation projects and they have all ended up with a single database to rule them all, single database to find them, single database to bring them all and with PL/SQL bind them, in the land of Redwood Shores where the new releases are born.

The idea of a DB consolidation project has always been to prevent wasting of resources, pool together what can be pooled and make processes smoother. Oracle instance imposes a significant overhead on the underlying machine and increasing that overhead is not the right way, at least in my humble opinion.

>> How? As I've asked you before, if there is a runaway query, you first
> F.ex if there is query takin all cpu, you can very,very identify correct
> instance.
> And restart start instance. (f.ex that development instance).

I never, ever restart instance unless it's completely unresponsive to all users. CTRL-ALT-DEL mentality is inappropriate for a modern RDBMS. Not even with development databases. DBA should impose a technological discipline upon his developers and encourage them to be mindful of performance and resource consumption, not to give them an example how to waste resources. In other words, you're supposed to be a technological R. Lee Ermey, not Bluto from the Animal House.

> And no, I do not have MS Server or Sybase backgroung.
> Very, Very long dedicated experince with Oracle (from the beginning,
> allmost).

As I have said several times on this group, I started with Oracle 4, on MS DOS 3.3 and PC XT with 512KB RAM. That was my first contact with Oracle in the late 80's. There are people who have started earlier than me, but not many.

> And I do not earn money writing books, but running/deloping dedicated
> systems.

I am deeply ashamed. I confess writing two books, the 2nd one with coconspirators,  sometimes known as "co-authors". Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

> Believe me, I have far more/better/longer experience than you, with
> Systems development life-cycles, operating Oracle RDBMS.
> At least I have far more experience with our own Legacy systems;)

I never believe anyone except Richard Dawkins. There is but one God and Richard Dawkins is his prophet. Everybody else must prove his or her words beyond reasonable doubt, using facts and logical principles.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com