Re: Hardware, Cores, Licenses

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 18, 1:06 am, Alex Busam <abu..._at_gmx.de> wrote:

> I have an old version of toad to test and try to optimize the
> parameters. The new system with i/o about SAS, 15K, 2 LDs with RAID1,
> maybe a RAID10 of 4 drives will be 2 or 3 times faster then the U320
> with 2 x RAID1. So this and opimized parameters will bring much more
> performance, double would be ok for us.

Get hold of a copy of SLOB (google it, it's in Kevin Closson's site). Use it to stress test what the system can do now, and then compare to what it can do in the new hardware. The good thing about SLOB is it can use a vanilla db installation and it doesn't need raw I/O like orion does. IOW: perfect for Wintel.
The actual absolute numbers are not as important. What you are after is the delta improvement you can get in the new system, and the relative effect of any changes you make at h/w level, config or actual. Received on Sun Aug 19 2012 - 20:04:50 CDT

Original text of this message