Re: bLOCKRECOVER in 11G?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 05:12:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:34:25 -0700, John Hurley wrote:

> AFAIK validate database came out in 11.1 ..

I have never used 11.1 in production or on a serious development machine so I have never had a need to back it up. 11.2 is here to stay, at least for a while: http://tinyurl.com/9uh2kde
My guess is that 11.2.0.4 will probably be unleashed onto the world in late September/early October, just like the previous patch version. That will be the terminal version that will get PSU patches every 3 months and will remain the most pervasive version at least until 2015 when companies will start launching the exploratory phase of the upgrade projects again. The old wisdom of upgrading to the terminal version still applies. That's what happened to 11.1, that's what will happen to 12c. Essentially, 12.0 will be for the serious geeks like you and me, to

install on their home desktops. 12.1 will be for adventurers and for the
first exploration projects. 12.2.0.2 will start the "upgrade madness". I
don't expect to see it before 2015.

11G was a serious rewrite. A lot of things were changed: latches, ASM, RAC, Oracle*Net, SGA handling, caching, SQL baselines, a lot of really ground breaking stuff. True to the old lore, the versions with the even numbers are stable versions which are just an improvement over the previous version, the one with the odd number, like 11. I expect to see some stability, but not in the early versions.
--
Mladen Gogala
http://mgogala.freehostia.com