Re: Hardware, Cores, Licenses

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:59:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 6:24 am, Alex Busam <abu..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we work with an Oracle 10g Enterprise Edition (Database 30GB) on an Dual
> Xeon 3,6 GHz (early gerneration, single-Core, from 2005, SCSI U320, in 2
> x RAID1) unter Windows 2003 Server 32 bit. Now we like to move this
> system to a faster server. Model such as Dell 2950, with Xeon E5440 or
> HP DL360, Ceon 5430 to 5470 or others.
>
> Now, I m not sure what a license we have installed. Can I see this in
> the system for how much cores this license is? We change the system in 2
> years, so there is no chance/money to upgrade the license now.
>
> Is for this moving a fast dual core the better choice? Which processor
> is ok for this solution?
>
> The Windows 2003 Server can access the RAM above 4 GB about PAE. Is
> there any problem with doing that? What are the cons for this?
>
> best regards and thank you very much for your hepl!
> Sambu

You should be getting invoices for Oracle support on a yearly basis. This would have the CSI number on it. If you need to use support, you need that number. If you already have support, you can go to MOS and find out what license is associated with the CSI. You can google for the Oracle docs that explain the licensing options, there may be slight variances by country. You can see feature usage by looking at a system table, but there are several licensing models and nothing that really says which one you are using (I think there is or was some table, but it is not conclusive, I don't even remember, they catch license abuse when you try to get support, or they audit you).

Linux (free OEL from Oracle) works better on the same hardware than Windows, presuming you have administrators motivated enough to do it right.

Sometimes moving to faster hardware makes poor code perform worse, you just have to deal with any issues as they come up. It all depends what bottlenecks each system has.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Romney gets good sex... reception in Florida." - headline heard on