Re: HP wins Oracle Itanium case

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 2, 6:40 am, Mark D Powell <Mark.Powe..._at_hp.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:59:45 AM UTC-4, Syltrem wrote:
> >http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/08/hp-wins-judgeme...http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2012/120801c.htmlApparemtly it will be up to HP to pronounce the death sentence for OpenVMS and HP-UX. Not Oracle. It's not over yet ! Syltrem
>
> Oracle will appeal and in the meantime no port of 12c to Itanium is under way so HP will still be harmed.  With this victory in hand maybe HP can approach Oracle about a compromise.  Oracle ports 12c to Itanium but it is the last version giving HP time to port HP-UX to X86 which Oracle agrees to support.
>
> As one famous prognostocator said, "if you must predict the future, predict often."
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

"The terms “product suite” means Oracle software products that were offered on HP’s Itanium-based servers at the time Oracle signed the September 20, 2010 Settlement and Release Agreement, including any new releases, versions or updates of those products."

I guess they could ask for a stay while appealing. Meanwhile, the damage has already been done in my environment. I'll know in a few months how much damage, but I'd be surprised for the Itanics with Oracle to float past next year.

Then again, maybe Larry thinks he is Larry Hagman and has a devious J. R. Ewing card up his kimono.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"700 people in San Diego were without power.  That's one-millionth of