Re: Oracle Linux upgrades

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:50:44 -0700 (PDT)

Mladen:

# I typed "yum upgrade" and lo and behold, packages were downloaded from the repository. Everything went OK, despite the fact that I don't have have a paying license. Good job Oracle!

[root_at_rac1 ~]# yum update

... So what differences are there ( if any ) between "yum upgrade" ( which you said you were going to run ) and "yum update"?

Did this just apply fixes to 5.8 ( not in base release ) or what?

We kind of stumble around in this area and get release updates ( like 5.8 ) put onto DVD and then use those as a means of upgrading/moving forward our linux systems.

What I don't want to do is have a bunch of systems at 5.8.Point_1_in_time and others at 5.8.Some_other_point and still others at 5.8.Today ... well at least I think I don't want that!

The whole area of trying to figure out how to keep your linux systems updated/patched while of course staying stable is always ... time consuming. Received on Thu Jul 05 2012 - 19:50:44 CDT

Original text of this message