Re: Oracle Linux upgrades

From: Mladen Gogala <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 02:27:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 02:01:13 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> have several virtual machines at home, two of which are OL 5.8. The
> VM's
> are called rac1 and rac2, you're free to guess their purpose. I typed
> "yum upgrade" and lo and behold, packages were downloaded from the
> repository. Everything went OK, despite the fact that I don't have have
> a paying license. Good job Oracle!

Not only that, the database works after the upgrade:

[oracle_at_rac2 ~]$ srvctl config database -d rac11 Database unique name: rac11
Database name: rac11
Oracle home: /oracle/product/ Oracle user: oracle
Spfile: +DATA/rac11/spfilerac11.ora
Start options: open
Stop options: immediate
Database role: PRIMARY
Management policy: AUTOMATIC
Server pools: rac11
Database instances: O111,O112
Mount point paths:
Type: RAC
Database is administrator managed
[oracle_at_rac2 ~]$ srvctl status database -d rac11 Instance O111 is running on node rac1
Instance O112 is running on node rac2
[oracle_at_rac2 ~]$

[oracle_at_rac2 ~]$ sqlplus scott/tiger

SQL*Plus: Release Production on Wed Jul 4 22:23:24 2012

Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release - Production With the Partitioning, Real Application Clusters, Automatic Storage Management, OLAP,
Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

[oracle_at_rac2 ~]$ uname -r

This is great! I was sceptical toward Oracle Linux, but this is great stuff! Of course, I still cannot call for support of my little toy, but this is more than enough.