Re: Oracle Closed World

From: Matthias Hoys <matthias.hoys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 00:35:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:07:52 AM UTC+2, (unknown) wrote:

> I forced myself to learn SQL Server last year by getting a SQL Server 2008 DBA Certification (Microsoft Certified Technology Professional). I found book by Tim Carpenter to be pretty good plus lots of blogs on SQL Server 2008 on internet. While SQL Server 2008 and now 2012 are very close to Oracle in terms of DBA features (except it does not have RAC ); I found SQL Server t-sql to be far behind Oracle's PL-SQL.
> T-SQL even does not have a for loop, it only has while loop. There is no if then elseif only if then else. It does not have any record type.. t-sql is very primitive. While t-sql has a debugger within SSMS, one needs sysadmin (DBA) privileges, god knows why?, which makes it very difficult to debug t-sql program in my company’s environment where data center does not give sysadmin proivileges .
> I guess Microsoft SQL Server team does not want people to use t-sql all that much, instead use .NET programming languages, It does provide CLR based stored procedures, I am trying to figure out how to use them in my work...

I used to work with SQL Server 2000. One of the biggest Belgian banks at that time used it as back end for their corporate website. One of the problems with SQL Server then was that it was not always easy to track down performance problems. You had the MS performance counters and the SQL Profiler and that was about it. No extended wait interface and dynamic views like Oracle has. I don't know if that has improved with the recent version of SQL Server?

Matthias Hoys Received on Wed Jun 27 2012 - 02:35:31 CDT

Original text of this message